Re: [Feature Request] \compressFullBarRests improvement(s)

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Feature Request] \compressFullBarRests improvement(s)
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 10:33:30 +0100 (CET)

>> I also support this request.  Another reason is that in many parts
>> of percussion instruments, say, there is `tacet' for a very long
>> time, e.g. from rehearsal number 20 to 76.  A potential new
>> implementation of \compressFullBarRests (or a variant as suggested
>> by David K.) should allow compression of everything (including
>> measure changes!) into a single MM rest to span these two rehearsal
>> numbers.
>
> as a victim of such parts (orchestral bass trombone), this shouldn't
> be the default behavior. I've had such parts, and it is REALLY
> annoying when your part jumps from say mark G to mark Q (with 137
> bars rest) and the conductor asks for the rehearsal to start 3 bars
> before P. unless you _know_ how many bars P has or _exactly_ when
> you're supposed to come in, such parts are useless.

Well, this only works properly with a bunch of appropriate cue notes,
of course.  It would be a means to be used with caution, but it could
be tremendously useful.  Especially for percussion instruments, where
it is often hard to find the next spot where a single `bing' or
`whomp' (with 247 bars tacet before and after) has to be played.

> If this becomes default behavior, please leave an option to keep it
> working as it does now.

It should definitely *not* be the default.

    Werner