Re: [Feature Request] \compressFullBarRests improvement(s)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [Feature Request] \compressFullBarRests improvement(s)
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 00:20:08 +0100

> Hi David,
>
>> Well, you would not count.  Instead you'd say something like
>>
>> \R-until \atMark 8
>> or
>> \R-until \atmeasure 80
>
> Ah! I could see that being a *very* elegant solution for that problem.
>
> However, if one suddenly added, post-hoc, a “split point” in the
> [shared] global music, would it split the \R-until (as desired)?

"split points" would require a different signaling/wait framework.

Basically something like

\R-until #'(markB violin)

in one voice, and then you do in another voice/staff

\interrupt #'(violin viola) (which breaks all pending multimeasurerests
marked with violin or viola).

and at some point \mark "B" \resume #'markB (which makes all
multimeasure rests waiting for #'markB resume).

>> I am afraid that "2 before mark G" would be too ambitious since one
>> can't rewind the time.  But "x after" should be possible.
>
> That would definitely solve the vast majority of use cases — enough to
> make it worth implementing, per the old adage “the perfect is the
> enemy of the good”.

Well, the above signaling would make either work reasonably well, and it
would be robust against putting in more or fewer marks since it just
synchronizes points between different voices.

--
David Kastrup