Re: autochange and tuplet brackets

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: autochange and tuplet brackets
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 11:05:43 +0100

Mark Knoop <address@hidden> writes:

> At 08:33 on 20 Dec 2013, Simon Bailey wrote:
>>i've also included the tweaked output in not-ugly-tuplets.png. this was
>>fixed by using the following tweak/untweak combination before the
>>strange sextuplets:
>>
>>staffChangeSextupletTweak = {
>>\override TupletBracket.bracket-visibility = ##t
>>\override TupletBracket.positions = #'(-20 . -20)
>>\tupletDown
>>}
>
> In my opinion the tweaked tuplet brackets are too far from the
> bass noteheads (particularly in bar 13). In situations like this I've
> always had to adjust the positions for each instance.
>
>>is this a bug or just unexpected behaviour on a border-case which
>>doesn't occur in real music? ;)
>
> Yes, it's a bug, the cause of which was discussed recently in this
> thread:
>
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.devel/56456

Not really: what's discussed in that thread is what happens when the
bracket-visibility is #f.  In that case, the tuplet number is placed as
if there were a bracket, and since that bracket is placed quite far from
the beam in cross-staff situations, the result is awful.

In the current thread, however, the brackets are visible, and the
results are still awful, and exactly because the brackets themselves are
placed ridiculously.

Even if the issue in this thread would be fixed, the tuplet numbers in
the references thread would be misplaced.

--
David Kastrup