Re: Schikkers List

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Schikkers List
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 08:01:22 +0100

Federico Bruni writes:

> I'm not a coder, so nothing.
> I was just thinking that I may test it better if I could run it on my
> computer.

Okay...thanks for the offer!  I'll think about it.  Because development
is so slow the code is only available to the actual developers for now.

> I see that the demo doesn't work always: for example, now I
> refreshed the page and the canvas is empty (no staff).

Oh, that's bad.  It's up again...

> Sure, but the thing is: why showing the text input if you cannot
> modify it?

Why enable editing the text input as long as it's next to useless
because it's slow and buggy?  Your request is noted, though.

> It's a nice idea if the purpose of the application is teaching
> lilypond syntax by interacting with a GUI.

That's one of the main purposes, to help people make jump the hurdle
of text input.  I predict that some people who would never consider
using text input, may still start to use it once they experience that
all their clumsy mousings can be described so short and simple in
text.

> Actually, it's a great idea: I would add a link in the website
> introduction once you feel that it's stable enough.

Thanks.  I was thinking of active panes in the tutorial.  What if
you could edit all these snippets:

    http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/learning/simple-notation

> OTOH if you want to create a GUI application, I'd remove the text
> input (at least, until you implement the "two-way edit").

There are many GUI applications that have this feature: "only editable
by mouse" already.  I don't think that brings anything new and
interesting to this world.

> I have a feature request that it may make this app special: note entry
> using a tablature instead of a staff.  You choose the tuning and then
> enter numbers on each string, then the number should be turned into
> the right pitch.  I guess this is not easy to implement. But it may
> attract users of Tuxguitar, Guitarpro and similar.

I'm not a guitar player/tab staff reader, so I don't really get the
idea of what this should look like.  How/why would you enter numbers
rather than click on the Tab staff?

Can we do away with choosing the tuning, isn't there a common tuning
for guitar that > 90% of guitars use?

If someone would want to have a go with implementing this, I'd be
glad to talk with them.

> How can I make an horizontal selection?

Push down mouse-1, drag to the left or right.

> I think that yesterday somehow I managed to select more than a note,
> using Alt or Ctrl; but then slur didn't work. Today the demo is not
> working, so I'm stuck... Did I say that I'd like to install it on my
> PC? :-)

:-)

You can always ask, I'll think about it.
Jan

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | AvatarĀ®  http://AvatarAcademy.nl