Re: Schikkers List

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Schikkers List
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2013 17:35:30 +0100

2013/12/5 Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden>
What I meant was: what is required for the a minimal first useful
user experience.  Would a hardcoded tuning do, so that we can
implement a tuning choosing mechanism later?

yes, stringTunings = #guitar-tuning would be ok for most guitarists

> It is quite common to have pieces in "lute tuning" (one string a
> semitone off, don't remember which one right now) and also to turn the
> lowest string one note down occasionally.

So I take it that my guess that 90% of all guitar pieces have standard
tuning was too optimistic?

It really depends on the music and kind of guitar.
Alternate tunings are used mostly on acoustic guitar and especially in fingerstyle and flatpicking tecniques.
I know very few pieces for electric guitar which use alternate tunings (usually 6th string dropped down to d or cis).