Re: Advocating non-free softwares

From: James Harkins
Subject: Re: Advocating non-free softwares
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 13:01:54 +0000 (UTC)

Han-Wen Nienhuys <hanwenn <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Our mission has always been to provide excellent music notation in a
> free software package to as many people as possible, including those
> using windows and macs. We have no business doing ideological
> advocacy, and frankly, the original message that started this
> discussion
>
> >Thanks for your encouraging words about Frescobaldi.
> >
> >Could you please be more aware and more careful about advocating the use
> >of non-free operating systems?
>
> is way out of line.

I won't add anything except support for some words of good sense in a thread
which, at its beginning, left me incredulous that I was reading such commentary
here, of all places. (I use Linux*, and I'm happy to advocate for Linux, but
not
if it means being combative.)

If we must spend energy on advocacy, let's work on gaining wider use of
Lilypond
in the music business.

hjh

* Though, as a user of Ubuntu, I suppose I haven't enough purity to call myself
a free software advocate...