Re: transcribe notes

From: Philip Thomas
Subject: Re: transcribe notes
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 11:07:29 +0000 (GMT+00:00)

Blast! Resubmitted with apologies -- sent this a short while ago with an inept
subject heading. Sorry, Philip

_________________________________

Graham Percival wrote:

> I cannot in good conscience encourage anybody to become
involved

David Kastrup wrote:

>I would
have no qualms encouraging people
>into trying to get involved.
>
>They can expect some friction, naturally, work they
do unnecessarily.
>That's a possible source of frustration.  It can be minimized by asking
>for feedback.  Now if
things are as bad as to make 80% give up
>eventually, it means that 20% eventually manage to contribute.
>
>20% is more
than the 0% we get following your recommendations.

Graham Percival wrote:

>That's because you are an excellent
programmer, mathematician, and
>all-round "technical guy" who would have no trouble learning git
>if you didn't know it
already.  I am not -- at best I'd say that
>I'm a good programmer, almost competent mathematician, and
>passable
"technical guy".  So I have a great deal of empathy for
>people who have difficulty with those.
>
>More to the point, I
have experience mentoring over 20 people for
>lilypond doc work.  I *know* that people find it difficult.  I
>know that
people find it difficult even when somebody else takes
>care of all the git stuff for them!  If you want me to listen
>anybody who says "oh, there's some friction, but just tell them to
>jump in", then mentor at least 5 people who
stick around for at

Graham Percival wrote:

>At the "karma cost" of
wasting the time and effort of the 80%.
>I'm not willing to pay that cost -- especially when we could cut
>that in half
with 10-20 hours of prep work.

>[...] I want to get the
>reputation of treating lilypond volunteers well, since that
will
>encourage more people to volunteer.  By discouraging people from
>having a hard time now, I'm gambling on a long-
term benefit in
>that when the CG is better and we actively recruit volunteers,
>more people will step up.

I wasn't
expecting this to be a tension-free exercise, especially having followed some
other recent threads with interest. Nor
am I going to deflate if an expanded cheatsheet doesn't materialize or doesn't
attract any interest. I'm not especially
tough-skinned, but I have some time on my hands and the challenge appeals to
me. Equally, however, I don't feel
inclined, at least at present, to dive into what for me would be the LilySwamp
of Texinfo, Lilydev and git.

What I
would like to attempt, for my part, is to make some contribution from the
perspective of a (comparative but not utter
beginner) user of the non-programmer variety, and it seems to me that expanding
and improving the content of a
cheatsheet might be both useful and within my capacity to achieve.

While Graham and David may not see eye-to-eye on
some questions of approach and how best to manage user contributions, I don't
feel discouraged by what either of them
has said so far as my working on such a task is concerned, so I intend to just
do it, keeping my aims fairly modest,
and see what the reaction is, if any, to the result. I don't think I need any
technical mentoring at this stage,
although I'll definitely be pleased to get feedback -- from anyone -- on drafts.

Cheers, Philip