Re: v2.15.24: void-, scheme- or music-function in toc-section?

From: Jan-Peter Voigt
Subject: Re: v2.15.24: void-, scheme- or music-function in toc-section?
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 13:47:02 +0100

Hi Thomas,
BTW: I thought the 2.15.24-define-music-function not always needs to
return music.

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/changes-big-page.html

"The construct #{ … #} can now be used not just for constructing
sequential music lists, but also for single music events, void music
expressions, post events, markups (mostly freeing users from having to
use the markup macro), markup lists, number expressions, context
definitions and modifications, and a few other things. If it encloses
nothing or only a single music event, it no longer returns a
sequential music list but rather a void music expression or just the
music event itself, respectively."

Did I misunderstood (because of my insufficient english-skills)?
I don't know ;-)?
When you have

#{
\tocItemA $text
\tocItemB $text
#}

every toc-command returns an EventChord marked with a page-label. So the #{-#}-construct already contains a list of music-events and leads to 'SequentialMusic. How #{#} is used to produce something else, I didn't understand yet. It is a quite new feature that I've heard of, but I didn't use it.

HTH
Cheers,
Jan-Peter