Re: v2.15.24: void-, scheme- or music-function in toc-section?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: v2.15.24: void-, scheme- or music-function in toc-section?
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 13:29:30 +0100

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi David,
>
> thanks for your reply, following your suggestion leads to a syntax like
>
> \version "2.15.24"
>
>         \bookpart {
>               \score {
>                       \new Staff
>                       \indexItems "Symphony No. 5#Ludwig van Beethoven"
>                       { c'1 }
>               }
>        }
>
> I'd prefer not to insert \indexItems into the music. So Jan-Peter's
> proposal fits more to my needs.

I suppose I don't understand what you are trying to do then.

> BTW: I thought the 2.15.24-define-music-function not always needs to
> return music.

Huh?  define-music-function has never returned anything but music.  In
fact, it will throw an error if you try to let it return anything else.

> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/changes-big-page.html
>
> "The construct #{ … #} can now be used not just for constructing
> sequential music lists, but also for single music events, void music
> expressions, post events, markups (mostly freeing users from having to
> use the markup macro), markup lists, number expressions, context
> definitions and modifications, and a few other things. If it encloses
> nothing or only a single music event, it no longer returns a
> sequential music list but rather a void music expression or just the
> music event itself, respectively."
>
> Did I misunderstood (because of my insufficient english-skills)?

I don't see where you get the impression that anything constructed via
#{ ... #} is fit for returning from a music function.

--
David Kastrup