Re: Lyrics and repeats

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Lyrics and repeats
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 17:10:40 +0100

It's always easier to answer a question like these if we see an example of LilyPond code that you tried.

Kris Van Bruwaene wrote:
I'm transcribing Six old Dutch Songs for choir and reed organ (harmonium), one
of which has a repeat section with different lyrics and alternative endings
(using LP 2.12.1 on Ubuntu 9.04.). For the voltas (1 measure ending) I used the
procedure outlined on page 99 of the current notation reference (for LP 2.12.2),
with a \partial 4*3 in the first \alternative. However an erroneous bar appears
after the first beat of the second volta, as if it were a continuation of volta
Are you sure that you inserted it at the beginning of the measure in the first ending? The rhythmic pattern of the repeat in your piece seems to be exactly the same as that in the example in the manual, so the same solution should work in both cases, right?
1. Other problems with it that I can't solve:
- how to get the (final) lyrics repeated there?
Simplest is just to write it out twice in your lyrics section.
- how to get the slurs extended into it?
If you search the mailing list archives, you will find some alternative solutions.
- how to delete it from the midi output (or get the repeat working in midi)?
Read section "Repeats in MIDI" in the Notation Reference.
and how to print the piece of text that is identical in both repeats only once.
\repeat unfold 2 { this text will be repeated twice }

The Lilypond notation reference has a very brief section on page 190, titled
"Lyrics and repeats: TBC". :-( The troubled piece is on
http://icking-music-archive.org/ByComposer/Duyse.php (nr. 3, "Het was er te
nacht").

One more strange thing: in the first section a single syllable is placed under
beamed notes, without the need for a slur. In the repeated section however, I
have to put slurs over the beamed notes to get the lyrics placed correctly. What
could be the cause?
Were the beams typeset automatically by LilyPond or did you explicitly specify them using [...] ? If I recall correctly, the beam is only treated as a melisma in the latter case.

  /Mats
Thanks

Kris

        Mats Bengtsson