Re: Newby question about stem directions

From: Tim Rowe
Subject: Re: Newby question about stem directions
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 17:31:35 +0100

2009/5/10 Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden>:

> In the example you give, << {M1} {M2} >> (i.e., without the \\), Lilypond
> simply says "engrave the two musical gestures {M1} and {M2} simultaneously
> in the same Voice context << V >>".
> Hence, there is no concern for stem direction, collision, etc.

Thanks. Does the \\ keep adding voices (effectively) indefinitely, or
is it limited to the four voices that are (as far as I can tell)
named? I ask because I'm coming from Finale, and have occasionally had
to use three voices in a stave, and the workaround I have found to
align lyrics to a dotted slur uses two voices for one musical line.
I'm worried about running out of voices!

--
Tim Rowe