Re: Newby question about stem directions

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Newby question about stem directions
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 10:04:27 -0400

Hi Tim,

I can't get the following bit of notation to work -- despite the
\stemUp command the stems are down (which looks horrid!) --
can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

You're not letting Lilypond do the correct voice handling for you...

\version "2.12.2"
\include "english.ly"

lower = \relative c
{
  \clef bass
  \key f \major
  \time 4/4
  << { \voiceOne e4 e4 } \new Voice { \voiceTwo c2 } >> \oneVoice c2 |
}

\score {
  <<
  \set Score.tempoHideNote = ##t
  \tempo 4 = 144
    \new PianoStaff <<
      \new Staff = "lower" \lower

  \layout {
    \context { \RemoveEmptyStaffContext }
  }
  \midi { }
}

Be sure to read the manual(s) -- this kind of information is well documented there!
Kieren.