Re: Sibelius conversion - sib2ly

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Sibelius conversion - sib2ly
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 11:25:38 -0400

    Johan> Yes, it would be very nice to have one good export format
    Johan> and a good importer. But Sibelius does not produce MusicXML
    Johan> without the help of an expensive plugin.

As far as I can see, all notation products (including lilypond) are
more interested in getting music into them than in letting users get
it out.

I was involved in CAD/CAM when they were starting to talk about
neutral file formats for transfer between different products, and it
was hard for those companies to devote resources to something that
would let their users migrate their data to a competitor, too.  Of
course, it's to everone's advantage for everyone else to do it.

I'm sure I've heard that Finale exports musicXML, but my Finale-using
friend can't figure out how.  And I don't seem to run into any XML on
the Werner Icking or CPDL sites.

--
Laura   (mailto:address@hidden http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

...in Calormen, story-telling (whether the stories are true or made
up) is a thing you're taught, just as English boys and girls are
taught essay-writing. The difference is that people want to hear the
stories, whereas I never heard of anyone who wanted to read the
essays.

C. S. Lewis, _The Horse and His Boy_