Re: Sibelius conversion - sib2ly

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Sibelius conversion - sib2ly
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 09:53:59 -0400

    Matthew> If anyone's interested, I've started work on a Sibelius
    Matthew> plug-in to export Lilypond data.

Since it's a Sibelius plugin, that means those of us who mostly use
Linux are out of luck.

I do run into Sibelius files I'd like to convert from time to time,
but they're on the web at places like CPDL and the Werner Icking
site.  So I couldn't ask the generous people who put them up to
install a test piece of software and convert them for me.

Isn't it possible to write a standalone program that could be run by
the person who wants the lilypond, and not by the person who wrote the
sibelius?

Would you like me to send you some test data?

    Matthew> As of yet, all it can get from the score is some metadata
    Matthew> such as title and composer, and each staff, containing
    Matthew> all pitches, durations, key signatures, and time
    Matthew> signatures.  Unfortunately, this excludes lines,
    Matthew> barlines, tuplets, text, lyrics, and all that jazz.

I mostly take the barlines out anyway, and tuplets aren't at all
common in the music I do.  But lyrics would be nice.

--
Laura   (mailto:address@hidden http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

If the world could write by itself, it would write like Tolstoy.

Isaac Babel