Re: guitar tab feature request

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: guitar tab feature request
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 18:35:28 -0600

On 3/22/09 10:20 AM, "Marc Hohl" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Carl, thanks for your answer.

You're welcome.

>> How about
>>
>> #(define (x-tab-format str context event)
>>     (make-whiteout-markup
>>      (make-vcenter-markup
>>       (markup #:musicglyph "noteheads.s2cross"))))
>>
>> x = #(define-music-function (parser location note) (ly:music?)
>> #{
>>   \once \override NoteHead #'style = #'cross
>>   \set tablatureFormat = #x-tab-format
>>   $note
>>   \unset tablatureFormat
>> #})
>>
>> music = {
>>   c8 \x c c \x c c4 c4
>> }
>>
>> <<
>>   \new Staff {
>>     \clef "treble_8"
>>     \music
>>   }
>>   \new TabStaff {
>>     \music
>>   }
>>

> This is a good solution; it's easy and fast to write, readable and
> leaves the parsing routine untouched.

A better definition of x would be

x = #(define-music-function (parser location notes) (ly:music?)
      #{
         \override NoteHead #'style = #'cross
         \set tablatureFormat = #x-tab-format
         $notes
         \unset tablatureFormat
         \revert NoteHead #'style
      #})

This version allows you to call

\x {c4 c c c}

if you want to have lots of notes muted.

> Yes, I knew that already. I mentioned it because I hope that there will
> be an additional file
> (tablature.ly) shipped with future versions of lilypond with some
> predefined commands
> like these two. (By the way, tuplets and tuplet numbers should be
> handled properly, too).

I assume that this will happen when tablature is updated.  As far as I know,
nobody is yet planning to do the work on tablature.  They are only planning
to put in the requests.

I'd be happy to have a Frog (even a new Frog, like you, Marc, if you're
interested or willing) take responsibility for tablature. I'd give any
advice that I could, and you'd have access to help from the lilypond-devel
list for those things that are beyond me.

>>> But in cases where I have only tablature, there is a
>>> problem with durations >=2.
>>>

>> There's been some discussion about this.  Dana Emery has some
>> suggestions, and there are others who have other proposals.
>>

> That sounds interesting - where can I find these suggestions?

Search lilypond-user archives and lilypond-devel archives for posts from
danalute, and then follow the threads.

Carl