Re: guitar tab feature request

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: guitar tab feature request
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 17:20:55 +0100

Carl, thanks for your answer.

Carl D. Sorensen schrieb:

On 3/21/09 1:48 PM, "Marc Hohl" <address@hidden> wrote:

[Sorry, the attached eps was too big; I converted it to png]

I have a wishlist of features for the tablature and guitar _notation_
feature request.
I don't know how far the work on the features has gone, so I post to the
list:

(1) writing muted notes (i.e. dead notes) is already possible, but
rather complicated
and - what's more important - different for notes and tablature.

I can define

#(define (x-tab-format str context event)
     (make-whiteout-markup
       (make-vcenter-markup
         (markup #:musicglyph "noteheads.s2cross"))))

headXOn  = \override NoteHead #'style = #'cross
headXOff = \override NoteHead #'style = #'default

tabXOn = \set tablatureFormat = #x-tab-format
tabXOff = \unset tablatureFormat

and use it to switch between crossed note heads (or crosses for tab
numbers respectively),
but if I write some funky chord lines with lots of muted strings, the
lilypond file gets
complicated to read. I could use shorter commands, but that does not
solve the problem.

Would it be too difficult to extend the parser, so that I could simply write

c8 xc8 c xc

to get my dead notes both in a normal Staff and a TabStaff?

How about

#(define (x-tab-format str context event)
    (make-whiteout-markup
     (make-vcenter-markup
      (markup #:musicglyph "noteheads.s2cross"))))

x = #(define-music-function (parser location note) (ly:music?)
#{
  \once \override NoteHead #'style = #'cross
  \set tablatureFormat = #x-tab-format
  $note
  \unset tablatureFormat
#})

music = {
  c8 \x c c \x c c4 c4
}
<<
  \new Staff {
    \clef "treble_8"
    \music
} \new TabStaff {
    \music
}
This is a good solution; it's easy and fast to write, readable and leaves the parsing routine untouched.
(2) When I write a score with notes and additional tablature, I don't
need the stems and stuff,
so it would be good to have a \tabNumbersOnly-Feature which
automatically switches to the
desired output.

tabNumbersOnly = {
  \override TabVoice.Stem #'transparent = ##t
  \override TabVoice.Beam #'transparent = ##t
}

tabNumbersAndStems = {
  \revert TabVoice.Stem #'transparent
  \revert TabVoice.Beam #'transparent
}
Yes, I knew that already. I mentioned it because I hope that there will be an additional file (tablature.ly) shipped with future versions of lilypond with some predefined commands like these two. (By the way, tuplets and tuplet numbers should be handled properly, too).

But in cases where I have only tablature, there is a
problem with durations >=2.

There's been some discussion about this.  Dana Emery has some
suggestions, and there are others who have other proposals.

That sounds interesting - where can I find these suggestions?

Marc
HTH,

Carl