Re: Colored hairpins?

From: Tim Reeves
Subject: Re: Colored hairpins?
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 17:03:25 -0700

Well, it helps some, but why do I get an error when I try the same thing with hairpins?

error: syntax error, unexpected EVENT_IDENTIFIER

                r4 d4 \p d d | \repeat "unfold" 4 {d1~} | d1 \once \override Hairpin #'color = #blue   \cr | d1 | d1 \f

(using 2.11.43 on Windows XP)

and where can I put the variable redDyn in my .ly file? Everywhere I try seems to give me errors, which is why I just put the \override right in with the music.

Finally, when does one have to include the context, like \once \override Voice.DynamicText #'color = #blue?

Thanks for your help.

Tim Reeves

Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden>

04/08/2008 11:28 AM

Tim Reeves <address@hidden>
cc
address@hidden
Subject
Re: Colored hairpins?

Hi Tim,

> Actually I need colored dynamics, including hairpins, but I thought
> "colored hairpins" sounds like something you find at a beauty salon
> and not in software!  I was trying to find in the user manual (NR)
> a color property for dynamics (\f, \cr, \cresc, etc.) but there
> doesn't seem to be any.

Dynamics are DynamicText graphical objects (grobs); if you look at
the bottom of the corresponding page

    <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond-
internals/DynamicText#DynamicText>

you'll see that one of the interfaces DynamicText supports is the
grob-interface; on *that* page (which is conveniently linked),

    <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond-
internals/grob_002dinterface#grob_002dinterface>

you'll find the property to set. To save you the trouble (this
time ;) I've included it here, as a variable:

    redDyn = \once \override DynamicText #'color = #red

> I can color noteheads, stems, bar lines, staff lines, and text. Is
> that everything?

Anything that inherits the grob-interface *should* be color-able...
and that's just about everything in the 'Pond.  =)

HTH,
Kieren.