OOoLilypond instilation problems and coding help

From: Levi Hendricks
Subject: OOoLilypond instilation problems and coding help
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 22:14:32 -0500

I am  running windows XP (with sp2) and open office v 2.0.2 . I followed the
instructions on using lilypad with open office. I have downloaded (and written
in) the lilypond script as well as the open office macro, i installed the macro
as said in the instructions, but when i press alt m an error orccurs. The
message is this: "BASIC syntax error. Dimension specifications do not match."
it highlights a portion of the code:"SortStringArray(sTemplate" approximately
4/5ths the way down the page. I cant get the macro to work, can anyone help me?

On another note, I am reading the tutorial and manuals for lilypond, but am
having trouble assimilating all the information. I have done some html and java
programing so im no stranger to computer code, but the "voices" concept is
giving me trouble. I am using this program to write percussion music for
lessons that I am giving, and if someone could help me disect some code this
would be great:
     \new DrumStaff <<
       \new DrumVoice = "1" { s1 *2 }
       \new DrumVoice = "2" { s1 *2 }
       \drummode {
         bd4 sn4 bd4 sn4
         <<
           { \repeat unfold 16 hh16 }
           \\
           { bd4 sn4 bd4 sn4 }

       }

here is what I understand: DrumStaff creates a staff, thats simple. drummode
initiates the acceptance of sn bd hh etc. as valid input. I also understand
that there is a measure of alternating bd/sn hits for 4 beats before the
'polyphonic' measures. I understand that the polyphonic measure uses two
'voices, one that is just the hh and one that is the bd and sn.

Here is what I don't understand: the creation of  \new DrumVoice = "1" { s1 *2
}. Why do i need to create new drum voices. And if im not referencing them
later, how does the code know which one is which. Are "1" and "2" simply names,
or do they have do do with stem directions, or what? and what in heck does {s1
*2} mean?

Thank you for your help. I am new at using lilypad, i stumble across it and
don't know anyone else who can help me. This is the first time I've used this
mailing list so even if you cant help me, letting me know that I've succeeded
in asking for help would be nice. thanks.