Re: Double Staff Tablature - No Stems is the Norm

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Double Staff Tablature - No Stems is the Norm
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 10:46:52 -0700

Please see
http://lilypond.org/web/devel/participating/documentation-adding
and/or add the example to
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/

Cheers,
- Graham

Joey Coyle wrote:
This is Great Mats, and should definitely be an example in the Guitar documentation.

thanks,
joey

On Jun 21, 2007, at 4:19 AM, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

It seems that your settings for some reasons are done in the TabVoice
context, so you explicitly have to say
\override TabStaff.TimeSignature ...

However, I propose to make all these settings in a layout block, so that they automatically apply to all TAB staff in the .ly file (you may even want to make the definition in a separate file that you can include in whatever .ly
files you need them).

\layout{
 \context{
   \TabStaff
   \override TimeSignature #'stencil = ##f
 }
 \context{
   \TabVoice
   \remove Beam_engraver
   \remove Stem_engraver
   \override TupletBracket #'number-visibility = ##f

The reason I set stencil instead of transparent on TimeSignature is that
if you make it transparent, it will still take some place, whereas my
proposed setting removes the signature completely. You won't see any
difference in your particular example, but if you remove the normal Staff
context in your example, you will see what i mean.

  /Mats

Joey Coyle wrote:
Thanks Mats,

I have almost removed everything from the TAB staff to make it look like the professional guitar transcriptions in all my books.

But I can't seem to remove the TimeSignature from the TAB staff... here is what I have. Why is \override TimeSignature #'transparent = ##t not working.

thanks,
joey

partition = {
    \key e \major
    e8\5 fis\5 gis\5 a\5 b\5 cis'\5 dis'\5 e'\5
    e8\4 fis\4 gis\4 a\4 b\4 cis'\4 dis'\4 e'\4
}

<<
\new Staff {
    \clef "G_8"
        \partition }
\new TabStaff {
    \override Stem #'transparent = ##t
    \override Beam #'transparent = ##t
    \override TimeSignature #'transparent = ##t
    \override TupletBracket #'number-visibility = ##f
        \partition}