Re: Pre-Release: Slave Songs of the United States

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Pre-Release: Slave Songs of the United States
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 11:42:50 +0200

At Wed, 13 Jun 2007 22:07:06 +0200,
address@hidden (Arvid Grøtting) wrote:

> Marcus Brinkmann <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > At Wed, 13 Jun 2007 00:13:03 -0300,
> > "Han-Wen Nienhuys" <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> >> And a typographic nit: the margins seem rather on the small side.
> >> Have you done the page layout yourself?  I recommend copying margins
> >> from reknowned publications.
> >
> > I know :( I made an early decision to stick to DIN A5, as most pieces
> > are short and this also comes close to the original format.
>
> Out of curiosity: What exactly is the original format?

The facsimile edition I have here is printed on 13.5cm x 20.5cm, but
if the following scan is not cropped, then it would be more like
12.8cm x 20cm:

http://docsouth.unc.edu/church/allen/sstp.jpg

I can't make sense out of any of this.  Maybe half of "Quarto"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_size)?

> > Work arounds: Printing on a larger (non-standard) paper size or
> > shrinking the pages before printing.
>
> 6x9" would be too close to A5 to gain much.  B5 is probably a bit on
> the large side, but a nice general paper size for music.

B5 sounds like a nice idea.  Depending on the binding, it might not
even be on the large side (or is the space needed for the binding
added extra in such calculations?).

> > I guess the moral of the story is that DIN A5 is not a good page size
> > for staffsize 18.
>
> Or, conversely, that staffsize 18 is too large for A5.
>
> I typeset choral music, so my constraints are different than yours,
> but I use staff-size 18 for A4.  I've used smaller, too, for A4.
>
> If A5 isn't too small a page size, you could probably get by with a
> staff-size as small 13 or 14, which is smaller than you need to get
> wider margins.

You have a point there.  It's over-due that I make some
test print outs.

Thanks,
Marcus