\transpose causes massive amounts of swapping

From: Cameron Horsburgh
Subject: \transpose causes massive amounts of swapping
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 15:14:04 +1000

Hi folks,

I'm trying out the new 2.11.26 (Linux binary from lilypond.org) on a
project I'm doing. I'm typesetting a book of forty tunes for my band.
Each part is a series of forty scores, each \including a refernce to a
notes file. This allows me to transpose parts rather trivially.

The Soprano cornet part looks something like

\score{\include Soprano/Song01.ly}
\score{\include Soprano/Song02.ly}
.
.
.
\score{include Soprano/Song40.ly}

The flute part is a transposed version of the Soprano cornet part:

\score{transpose c ees{Soprano/Song01.ly}}
\score{transpose c ees{Soprano/Song02.ly}}
.
.
.
\score{transpose c ees{Soprano/Song40.ly}}

The problem is this: when I run the Soprano cornet part, the whole
thing compiles in about 38 seconds. When I run the Flute part, I give
up after about 10 minutes. According to top Lilypond is using up to
99% of the CPU and around 40-60% of my memory. The disk is paging like
crazy. The CPU load meter sits at around 6 or 7.

The only difference between the two files (apart from the name in the
headers) is the \transpose directives.

Has anyone else seen this? Is it a known problem? Or should I distil
it to something smaller and submit it as a bug?

Cameron Horsburgh