Re: Pre-Release: Slave Songs of the United States

From: Arvid Grøtting
Subject: Re: Pre-Release: Slave Songs of the United States
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 22:07:06 +0200

Marcus Brinkmann <address@hidden> writes:

> At Wed, 13 Jun 2007 00:13:03 -0300,
> "Han-Wen Nienhuys" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> And a typographic nit: the margins seem rather on the small side.
>> Have you done the page layout yourself?  I recommend copying margins
>> from reknowned publications.
>
> I know :( I made an early decision to stick to DIN A5, as most pieces
> are short and this also comes close to the original format.

Out of curiosity: What exactly is the original format?

> Work arounds: Printing on a larger (non-standard) paper size or
> shrinking the pages before printing.

6x9" would be too close to A5 to gain much.  B5 is probably a bit on
the large side, but a nice general paper size for music.

> I guess the moral of the story is that DIN A5 is not a good page size
> for staffsize 18.

Or, conversely, that staffsize 18 is too large for A5.

I typeset choral music, so my constraints are different than yours,
but I use staff-size 18 for A4.  I've used smaller, too, for A4.

If A5 isn't too small a page size, you could probably get by with a
staff-size as small 13 or 14, which is smaller than you need to get
wider margins.

Arvid