Re: Point and click: HELP ME PLEASE...

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Point and click: HELP ME PLEASE...
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 13:56:41 +0200

Le mardi 12 juin 2007 à 13:48 +0100, Mark Knoop a écrit :
> Marco wrote:
[snip]
> > I'm a Ubuntu user and I'm not very able working in the command line:
> > for example what is gconf and what have I to do  (and where: command line,
> > emacs, elsewhere....?),
> > what is the logfile I have to uncomment?
> > what have I to do with the code you have written (<gconfschemafile>) and
> > the file you attached ?
>
> OK, firstly I'll describe the two files in a bit more detail. The first
> is an XML file (your email client may just display it in the message,
> not as an attachment). Save it somewhere (on your desktop will be fine)
> as '/home/<username>/textedit-url-handler.schemas' where <username> is
> your linux username.
>
> The second file is a Bash shell script which accepts the point-and-click
> url from Evince and turns it into a form that is usable by a text editor
> - in my case gvim. Save this file as
> '/home/<username>/bin/textedit_url.sh'. You may need to create the 'bin'
> directory.
>
> Then open a terminal (command-line) and enter the command:
>
> gconftool-2 --install-schema-file=~/textedit-url-handler.schemas
>
> Then open the Bash script for editing in emacs. The # character
> designates comments in bash - lines starting with # are ignored. Remove
> the # from the start of the lines which include the word 'logfile', i.e.
> lines 7, 8, 26, 52. Then go to line 47 - comment out (i.e. insert a # at
> the beginning of) the next three lines:
>
> #KEYS="<Esc>:${LINENUM}<Return>${STARTPOS}|"
> #gvim --remote $FILENAME
> #gvim --remote-send $KEYS
>
> and add this line:
>
> emacsclient --no-wait +${LINENUM}:${STARTPOS} $FILENAME
>
> Save the file. In your terminal window, enter the following:
>
> touch ~/textedit_url.log
> tail -f ~/textedit_url.log
>
> Then open a lilypond pdf in evince, and try clicking on one of the
> notes. There should be some output in the terminal window which is
> logging the script, and hopefully emacs should open. Let us know how you go.

Hi Mark,
Thanks for your script and GConf schema!  I've tested it and I have some
comments.

First, textedit_url.sh is actually started only if I remove '~/bin/'
from the command in the schema (of course, ~/bin is in my PATH).  Maybe
lda expansion is not performed here?

On my Fedora 7 box with Gnome 2.18, Evince (or Gnome) doesn't convert
colons to '%3A' in URLs, so textedit_url.sh should be modified a little.

Here's attached the .sh script which works for me.  I've modified it to
use Emacs.  The most straightforward way to start Emacs as a server is

emacs -f server-start [YOURFILE.ly]

Cheers
--
John Mandereau <address@hidden>