Re: Measure number collision

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: Measure number collision
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 23:02:42 +1000

On Monday 23 April 2007 09:23, Graham Percival wrote:
> Joe Neeman wrote:
> > On Monday 23 April 2007 05:49, Maximilian Albert wrote:
> >> Reinserting the above line manually in scm/define-grobs.scm and
> >> comparing it with Mats' solution yields exactly the same result for
> >> staves with brackets, but for ungrouped staves it does indeed look ugly.
> >>
> >> Is there an easy way to make this setting only work in the former case?
> >> (Hm, probably not, otherwise it would probably already be implemented;))
> >> Of course, it's not a big deal to add the padding property manually to
> >> each score if needed, but I think eventually lily should be able to
> >> detect these cases itself.
> >
> > The solution for this is to use more accurate glyph outlines than
> > bounding boxes. I hope to do this at some point, but it is non-trivial.
>
> What about giving a StaffGroup some width?  I'm thinking of your recent
> fix for #352.  I mean, if there's a StaffGroup grob then we want the bar
> numbers to be higher; if there's no StaffGroup grob then we don't want
> to move the bar numbers.

The problem would be to make the StaffGroup have extra width but only for the
BarLine (because we don't want to push anything else up). I think an easier
solution might be to fiddle with SystemStartBar. But if Werner can work some
metafont magic, I might be able to skip the quick solution and go straight to
the good one...