Re: lilypond-mode.el

From: Orm Finnendahl
Subject: Re: lilypond-mode.el
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 22:59:23 +0200

Hi Arjen,

Am 30. März 2006, 22:18 Uhr (+0200) schrieb Arjan Bos:

> This sounds like a good idea. I did not look at that part of the
> code, but is that functionality cross-platform compatible? Does it
> work on Solaris, BSD, Linux, Mac OS X and Windows?

I don't know. It depends on "xpdf" and its "-remote" option. But I
could well imagine that is available at least for most of the
platforms. The emacs part is straightforward elisp and should work on
any machine which supports elisps subprocess routines.

> I'm hoping that I'm not stepping on any toes here, but it seems to me
> that in a true unix tradition, lilypond-mode should do only one thing
> and do it good and that is helping with the editing of .ly files. So
> could we please leave the PS-compilation, PS-viewing and MIDI-play to
> more appropriate emacs editting modes?

I'm not so sure. What about tex? It also facilitates compilation,
viewing and printing of files, doen't it. But generally I agree to
your points although I have to admit that right now I'm in a process
to integrate everything (midi, pdf, templates and such) for a course
here at our school trying to convince the music theory department that
using linux is as easy albeit more powerful than their beloved
gui-OSes.

> I'm the maintainer of three major modes (with minor usage and all
> only for gnu emacs), so I do know a bit about emacs modes. It seems
> to me that things can be accomplished in a more straightforward way.
> Just three days ago I dabbled with the idea of writing my own
> lilypond-mode.el that would only do font-locking, auto-indentation
> and compiling .ly files. It's just that I'm too pressed for time
> that's holding me back. Aber wenn Ich dir helfen kann, dann sag's mir
> bitte.

Thanks a lot for your offer, sounds like an excellent idea.

--
Orm