Re: lilypond-mode.el

From: Orm Finnendahl
Subject: Re: lilypond-mode.el
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 15:03:56 +0200

Hi Arjan,

thanks for the hints. I had a closer look at lilypond-mode.el and as
far as I can see it can't possibly work. The syntax table seems to get
erased in a post-command hook which might be related to a
non-functioning context determination. I guess that's the price you
pay for mixing syntaxes of different programming languages like scheme
and TeX and changing syntactic meanings based on the current notation
context. For now it seems easiest to get rid of the redefinition of
the context-based syntax table. That way at least the basic cursor
movements between parentheses work.

I attach the modified lilypond-mode.el in case someone has use for
it. Changes are annotated.

The autocompletion is also clear now: iso-lefttab is bound to M-/ (or
Esc-Tab). In the attached lilypond-mode.el file it is rebound to
C-tab, which works with my WindowManager.

In addition, the lilypond-mode.el contains code to use xpdf in server
mode which binds one xpdf server to each *.ly buffer. Redisplaying the
pdf of a buffer results in redisplaying the file in the server rather
than reopening an new xpdf process which I think is more convenient.

If I have more time I might take a closer look at lilypond-mode.el and
fix it properly, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be at all
trivial...

BTW: The info files don't seem to get installed by the install script
which makes the corresponding menu entries unusable. Maybe it would be
better to switch to the html documentation altogether although it is
always nice to have a tight integration with emacs for code snippets
and such.

--
Orm