RE: lilypond-mode.el

From: arjan.bos
Subject: RE: lilypond-mode.el
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 13:02:35 +0200

-- Orm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> before delving into the depths of it: Has anybody got the
> lilypond-mode.el working in terms of autocompletion and cursor
> movement under gnu emacs?

> I tried with emacs21 and emacs-gtk (Version 22) without
> success. Syntax highlighting seems to work, but pressing M-C-p or
> M-C-n gets me to the beginning or end of the buffer instead of the
> matching parenthesis. The syntax table seems to be defined in
> lilypond-fontlock.el and that file gets loaded. Even re-evaluation of
> the relevant code doesn't seem to help.

I've also had some extensive looks at the elisp-code and what I think that the
lilypond syntax-table is supposed to accomplish is to provide different
font-locking for different parts of the .ly file. The lyrics should get
different font-locking from the notes, etc. Unfortunately, this does not seem
to work as in lyrics like `a nice foo bar', the `a' gets font-locked as the
note `a' and the rest doesn't get font-locking.

It also does define the parentheses to be normal characters, so functions like
beginning-of-defun (C-M-a) and backward-sexp (C-M-b) and their functional
opposites don't work. Also it prevents the blinking of parentheses.

Unfortunately, all of the above doesn't bother me enough to do something about
it ;-) But if you can make LilyPond-mode work like it should[1], you have my
vote!

> In addition <Tab> doesn't auto-complete but rather indents the current
> line...

In all the gnu-emacsen I've used (19 - 22) this is the default key-binding.

HTH,
Arjan

[1] It should do the emacs thing when it comes to parentheses, but it should
also do context-based font-locking. I do have a sample-file lying around
somewhere, where I use a function to determine the font-locking a word
receives. Perhaps something similar could be done here? See
<http://zaaf.nl/emacs/beatnik.html> for font-locking based on the scrabble
value of a word.