Re: transpose, transposition, and relative

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: transpose, transposition, and relative
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 11:08:07 +0100

I don't really understand what you mean by input and output sections.
You can do any any of the following:

music={c d e f}
\score{
  \transpose c bes \music
}

music=\transpose c bes {c d e f}
\score{
  \music
}

\score{
  \transpose c bes {c d e f}
}

as well as

\music={\transposition bes c d e f}
\score{
  \music
}

\music={c d e f}
\score{
  {\transposition bes \music}
}

As far as I understand, the point of \transposition is that you can make
a printed version of the music and a MIDI version of the same music
without having to make two separate \score{...} sections (one with
\transpose and one without). In other words, \transposition solves
a completely different problem than \transpose. Of course, if this is
unclear in the documentation, it should be improved.

   /Mats

address@hidden wrote:
Oops ... my bad here ... I've just seen the sentence about MIDI output and how
it doesn't affect printing.

But I would still respectfully suggest that it *should* affect printing, it
seems to me we have here a generic solution being applied over-narrowly to a
specific problem.

Let's say I want to enter a Bb part in Bb. If I understand things correctly, I
now correct the MIDI output to true pitch by using a \transposition statement
in the note *input* section, but I correct the printed output to true pitch by
using a \transpose statement in the *output* section. That doesn't make sense
to me :-(

So - can I respectfully suggest we have a big bug here - either in the manual
or in the implementation of transposition. And imho the bug should be in the
implementation - by changing the implementation we don't change the current
functionality as seen by the user, but we do make the manual correct, and we
make the behaviour of transposition both more consistent and more powerful.

Cheers,
Wol

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing