Re: transpose, transposition, and relative

From: D Josiah Boothby
Subject: Re: transpose, transposition, and relative
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 16:26:50 -0800 (PST)

In regards to the Horn and other instruments for which transpositions can change during the course of a piece, I should mention that the Lilypond way is much easier to deal with than, for instance, the Finale way (at least up until Finale 2001, the last version that I used regularly). Granted, the similarity in name between \transpose and \transposition is a little confusing, so a way to sort them out could be to remember that "transpose" is a verb: we apply a specific transpositional operation on the notes attached to it; where "transposition" is a noun, indicating how something is to be heard, relative to how it is written, so this makes sense in the context of midi realization.

\transpose can be used to transpose a motive, or a large section of a piece. This is a very helpful tool (thanks, Han-Wen and Jan!), and doesn't rely on a specific transpositional tradition so much as it is merely a tool to transpose notes from the originally typed form to a different place, such as sounding pitch, or a pleasant transposition for a musician to read.

I hope this is helpful.

Josiah