Guile 3.0 (was: Thinking about the next stable release)

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Guile 3.0 (was: Thinking about the next stable release)
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 17:29:03 +0200

Le 22/05/2022 à 17:04, David Kastrup a écrit :
[...]
Also see

guile$ git shortlog -ns --since="2 months ago"
      2  Timothy Sample
      1  Ludovic Courtès
      1  Mikael Djurfeldt
Well, it's the stable release branch.

What would be the development branch?

$ git branch --show-current
main
$ git shortlog -ns v3.0.8..HEAD
     6  Ludovic Courtès
     2  Timothy Sample
     1  Andy Wingo
     1  Mikael Djurfeldt
     1  Rob Browning
     1  Sergei Trofimovich
     1  Vijay Marupudi

[...]
No, Guile is in trouble then.  I mean, it is in trouble now.  But if
distributors can easily do version-hopping on their own initiative and
end up with one version of Guile they are going to ship for their whole
distro, it would be good if that does not end up in making LilyPond
disappear.  That's all.

What we _recommend_ and use ourselves is an entirely different matter.

OK, but in that case, what is your request concretely?
Current LilyPond master works with Guile 3.0. Do you
want to add it to the CI?

Jean