Re: Thinking about the next stable release

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Thinking about the next stable release
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 16:19:38 +0200

Le 22/05/2022 à 15:39, David Kastrup a écrit :
Jonas Hahnfeld via Discussions on LilyPond development
<lilypond-devel@gnu.org> writes:

The reason I'm explicitly looking at Debian is that they currently
bundle Guile 1.8 in their package, which also serves as the basis for
Ubuntu's package. I'm sure they would be more than happy to get rid of
that 😉
Once it is bundled, it isn't all that maintenance-heavy.  You'd probably
need to update with the 1.8 branch tip of Guile maintained by Thien-Thi
Nguyen (and/or report if it doesn't compile any more with up-to-date
Texinfo/GCC/whatever).

Getting it in certainly was quite a bit of work.  Getting it out and
redepending with Guile-2.2 will be more work.  Particularly since the
current version of Guile isn't 2.2 any more.

As far as I can see, Debian has both 2.2 and 3.0 currently.

https://packages.debian.org/sid/guile-2.2
https://packages.debian.org/sid/guile-3.0

In Archlinux, the Guile package is at 2.2.7 and it doesn't
even look like they currently ship Guile 3.0?

https://archlinux.org/packages/?sort=&q=guile&maintainer=&flagged=

In Gentoo, Guile 3.0 appears "masked"
https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/dev-scheme/guile
which from
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Knowledge_Base:Masking_a_package
doesn't look like they would like it if we depended on it.

Fedora also has Guile 2.2:

https://packages.fedoraproject.org/pkgs/guile22/guile22/

Homebrew too:

https://formulae.brew.sh/formula/guile@2#default

MacPorts' Guile package is 2.2:
https://ports.macports.org/port/guile/
and it doesn't even look like it has Guile 3:
https://ports.macports.org/search/?q=guile&name=on

I am not under the impression that everyone would
applaude if we switched to Guile 3.0.

Also, I'm using Guile 3.0 for development (because byte-compilation
is a lot quicker), and it works ok, but it has a big bad bug:
it doesn't print source locations when byte-compiling. Last time
I looked, it seemed easy to fix that, but it is literally impossible
to get a patch applied. See
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2022-05/msg00000.html

Also see

guile$ git shortlog -ns --since="2 months ago"
     2  Timothy Sample
     1  Ludovic Courtès
     1  Mikael Djurfeldt

On the other hand, if you look at cross-module inlining
introduced in Guile 3.0.8
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2022-02/msg00030.html>
the amount of instability that new Guile 3.0.x versions
can introduce is just scaring.

Given that the development of Guile 3.0 is introducing
instability and not fixing it, I would be cautious with
switching to that release series. If people assume
"works with Guile 3.0.x" and think the latest patch
release is the best, as is usual, we're in trouble on the
day a Guile 3.0.x release comes that breaks us.

Take that with a pinch of salt, as I'm not overly familiar
with versioning strategies in distros.

Jean