Re: Repeat alternative count

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: Repeat alternative count
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2020 15:50:41 -0400

On Aug 29, 2020, at 14:52, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:

> My own take on it is that \alternative syntax is an abomination and it
> should likely be more like
>
> \repeat volta 40 {
>  \alternative { ... }
>  \alternative { ... }
>  \alternative { ... }
> }
>
> since that would avoid several syntactical problems and would allow to
> produce alternatives by music functions.

I agree, but that's a little too far into fantasy land for me to attempt right
now.  The other stuff proposed so far seems more attainable.

I've been intending to ask you how difficult you think it would be to make the
parser treat \alternative as a music function whenever it does not follow a
\repeat {}?  I've gotten \alternative << >> working to my satisfaction, but I
did it by requiring the << >> in the parser.  I think it would be nicer if
something like

    \repeat volta 2 {
      ...notes...
      \alternative M
      ...notes...
    }

would call a music function with argument M.
—
Dan