Re: Repeat alternative count

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Repeat alternative count
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2020 20:52:19 +0200

Dan Eble <dan@faithful.be> writes:

> Is there a use case for specifying the number of times to reuse a repeat
> alternative in a way that \unfoldRepeats could honor?  Right now, it reuses
> the first alternative enough times to reach the repeat count.  If so, does
> anyone want to suggest a syntax?  Here's my entry.
>
>     \repeat volta 40 {
>
>     } \alternative {
>       { … }
>       \repeat alternative 3 { … }
>       { … }
>     }
>
> Good? Bad? Meh?

My own take on it is that \alternative syntax is an abomination and it
should likely be more like

\repeat volta 40 {
  \alternative { ... }
  \alternative { ... }
  \alternative { ... }
}

since that would avoid several syntactical problems and would allow to
produce alternatives by music functions.

So if we are going to start phantasizing, that would be an approach I'd
prefer to start out from.

--
David Kastrup