GSoC 2020 update: (hopefully) final commits made; testing time

From: Owen Lamb
Subject: GSoC 2020 update: (hopefully) final commits made; testing time
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2020 23:42:31 -0700

Hi all!

First, an apology--I thought the project was due today, the 23rd, but it's
actually due next week, on the 31st. Tomorrow is just the first day I can
submit the project. Well, better to err on the side of caution! I'd like to
finish things up at least three days before the Monday deadline--i.e.
Friday--if possible.

I've reordered and rebased my code, and it is now up to date with the
current master. I've just published the new branch to GitLab as
dev/lamb/GSoC-2020-final if you'd like to give it a look. It's only nine
commits now, instead of over a hundred, and they're ordered in a way that's
hopefully easy to follow.

(I made a few changes to the code as I reordered it--removing the vestiges
of abandoned ideas, backtracking on a few things I'm unsure of, and
ensuring LilyPond compiles correctly at every commit. This means the latest
GSoC-2020-final snapshot doesn't match the latest GSoC-2020 snapshot
exactly.)

I suppose this last week, then, is for testing and docs. I'll figure out
how to run the regtests, ensuring I didn't break anything from commit to
commit, and write new regtests as necessary, involving the new
features, like /smuflglyph.

At the same time, I'll write docs for my work. I figure I'll make nine
documentation commits, one for each code change commit. (Of course, I may
not need one for every commit, but we'll see.) Does that sound all right?
Would it be better to make yet another branch with the documentation
integrated into the main commits?

And, of course, I'll also be working on my blog post, which I've already
started writing! I'll let you guys know when it's finished, which will
hopefully be in a couple days.

Questions, comments, and concerns are welcome as always.

Thanks,
Owen