branching stable/2.22?

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: branching stable/2.22?
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2020 13:58:27 +0200

Hi all,

I'd like to ask what it would take in principle to branch stable/2.22
and what others think about this.

Personally I'm convinced that creating the branch and only picking bug
fixes from master is the only guaranteed way to stabilize. Now you
might say that there were only few unstable releases (AFAICT there was
2.19.65 before branching stable/2.20). However, I think there are
already quite some user-facing changes and also the switch to Python 3.
With Python 2.x being EOL since January, it's only a matter of time
until Linux distributions and BSDs want to drop that, and it would be
unfortunate if that put a (temporary) end to providing LilyPond for
their users. If we had release candidates or even a stable version
until then, it would definitely help.
The same can of course happen with Guile, but that situation has been
going on for years. Furthermore, it's at least possible to compile and
use current master with Guile 2.x, even if slower. In my understanding,
things are getting better but properly integrating byte compilation is
still a good amount of work that nobody could give a deadline on.

WDYT?

Jonas