Re: GSoC 2020 update: (hopefully) final commits made; testing time

From: Owen Lamb
Subject: Re: GSoC 2020 update: (hopefully) final commits made; testing time
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2020 16:41:30 -0700

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 3:09 AM Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> wrote:

> > So, glyphnames.json.txt would look like this?
> >
> >   glyphnames.json, created by Daniel Spreadbury, was retrieved from
> >   https://github.com/w3c/smufl on DD Mon YYYY. It is licensed under
> >   the W3C Community Contributor License Agreement and the W3C Final
> >   Specification Agreement.
>
> Looks good, yes.

A couple more things. While it does appear likely--based on git
history--that Daniel Spreadbury created this particular file, he has not
placed a particular copyright on it. The specification as a whole, on the
other hand, is copyright "the Contributors to the Standard Music Font
Layout Specification" (see
https://w3c.github.io/smufl/gitbook/preamble/license.html).

On top of that, the W3C Final Specification Agreement (FSA) at
https://www.w3.org/community/about/process/final/, section 2, seems to say
that an author attribution is unnecessary, only requiring we mention the
standard's name and version (i.e. Standard Music Font Layout version 1.3).
My legalese isn't that great, though, so I'd appreciate a second pair of
eyes to make sure.

> It seems that the SMuFL specification (including its helper files)
> > are under two licenses which complement each other, the W3C
> > Community Contributor License Agreement and the W3C Final
> > Specification Agreement.  I don't quite understand their
> > relationship to each other, though.  Does only one need to be
> > mentioned, or both?
>
> You should mention whatever is mentioned for SMuFL.

Ah! I looked more closely and it looks like the current version is only
under the W3C Final Specification Agreement. Sorry for the bother.

Here's another stab at glyphnames.json.txt, given all this new information:

glyphnames.json is a part of the Standard Music Font Layout (SMuFL)
specification, version 1.3. It was retrieved from
https://github.com/w3c/smufl on 29 Aug 2020, and is licensed under the
W3C Final Specification Agreement, found at
https://www.w3.org/community/about/process/final/.

What do you think?