Re: GSoC 2020 update: Aug 7

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: GSoC 2020 update: Aug 7
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 10:42:37 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Owen,

> That said, once I begin finalizing, what would that entail?  I'd
> imagine something like the following:
>
>    - First, I'd look at all the TODO's I've left myself and try to
>      resolve them as best I can.

It depends.  Some TODOs certainly need a very large amount of time and
don't gain much.  You have to judge whether it is worth the time
*right now*, or whether to delay.

>    - Then, I'd rebase my commits onto the latest master and make the
>      history a little nicer.  For instance, I'd combine some commits
>      that were incremental changes towards a particular goal, so
>      it'll be easier to judge each facet of my work at a glance.

Maybe it makes sense to create a new branch from scratch instead of
fiddling with existing commits.  As mentioned in another e-mail, it is
in general not necessary to provide a series of commits for a new
file.  Simply commit the new file as a whole instead.  Incremental
commits in logical units only make sense (in most cases) for already
existing files that you have to modify.

>    - Then, I'd make changes to LilyPond's docs. This includes any
>      internal comments that may have become outdated.

Yep.

>    - Then, I'd take all your feedback regarding my commits, to make
>      sure there aren't any last-minute typos.

Please tell us when you have something we should look at.

>    - Then, I'd run tests to make sure everything works as intended
>      and can be added to LilyPond.  I believe we have a suite of
>      regression tests for this, so I guess I'll learn how to run
>      that.

You probably have to write some regression tests by yourself.  The
idea is to get as much code coverage as possible for your changes, and
each test should test as little as possible to make debugging easier.

>    - Once everything checks out, as Jean suggested, I'll write a
>      blog post on lilypondblog.org, summarizing my work, what I
>      learned on the way, and where things need to head next for
>      SMuFL on LilyPond.

Yes...

>    - ...and it looks like that post can double as my required GSoC
>      summary, as long as I get it in by the 23rd!

...and yes.

    Werner