Re: migrating to GitLab

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: migrating to GitLab
Date: Fri, 8 May 2020 11:03:43 +0200

On 5/8/20, Jonas Hahnfeld <address@hidden> wrote:
> I haven't heard further objections which, for me, means we are going
> with GitLab. If you don't agree, now's your final time to speak up.

Thanks for tackling this!

> 3) The idea is to have the "main" repository at GitLab, next to the
> issues and merge requests.

If the two are kept in sync (if and when you enable mirroring), does
that mean some of us can keep pushing onto Savannah without any
difference whatsoever? (Except perhaps for the few minutes time-lag
it’d take for commits to propagate.)

> Ultimately we can talk about cleaning up the Savannah repo and only
> keeping the "important" branches there.

Counterpoint: unlike GitLab, Savannah 1/ has been around for a long
time and 2/ relies on a non-profit foundation with lots of volunteers
(although its resources are obviously stretched thin). This leads me
to believe (perhaps superstitiously) that Savannah may have a
marginally better chance of staying around for longer than GitLab;
thus removing "historical" branches from Savannah may come to bite us
in the ass in decades to come, in case GitLab goes suddenly bankrupt
or decides to cease Free-Software support or whatever.

> And now to the most important task: picking a date when I'm available.
> I could do: Sunday evening & Monday; Tuesday & Wednesday; or Wednesday
> & Thursday.

I once seemed to notice that Mondays are traditionally low-activity.
(But that was another world back then.)

Cheers, and thanks again!
-- V.