Re: packaging lilypond as a docker container?

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: packaging lilypond as a docker container?
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 10:47:19 -0500

On Jan 20, 2020, at 18:21, Karlin High <address@hidden> wrote:

> There already is a LilyDev Docker image.
>
> <https://github.com/fedelibre/LilyDev/tree/master/docker>
>
> I tried it once, but was unable to get it working. It was my first and only
> experience with Docker, so that's probably my fault. I was also unmotivated
> to persevere . . .

I'm the original author and de-facto maintainer of that Dockerfile.  I assume
I'm also the sole user, based on the lack of questions about it.

My experience is that it's more stable than VirtualBox, and I can more easily
keep my source backed up (because it's in my host filesystem, not the VM
filesystem), but the performance of accessing the host filesystem is mightily
disappointing (unlike on Linux hosts).

If anyone is reading this and thinking of trying it, you might be better off
encouraging me to publish some of the private changes I've been testing, rather
than trying what's in Federico's repo.  I tend to slack off in that regard
because no one is asking.
—
Dan