Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3778 in lilypond: SVG backend: tempo marking c

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3778 in lilypond: SVG backend: tempo marking collides with stem
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 08:43:31 +0000

Comment #12 on issue 3778 by address@hidden: SVG backend: tempo marking collides with stem

Phil, we are not talking about a collision here (namely LilyPond placing things on top of each other) since this only occurs with SVG output. LilyPond does not position things differently depending on backend. What we are talking about here is the SVG output diverging from other backends. That this positioning error results in a collision is just incidental.

The SVG output always was *intended* to be the same as that of other backends. When the SVG backend now goes off the deep end and places things in places different from where LilyPond thinks it placed them it is absurd to state that the SVG output previously matched the output of other backends by accident rather than by design.

In fact, it would still be an error and regression if such aberrant placement would result in *only* the SVG output *avoiding* a collision.

We are not relying on accidents in a backend to get things right or wrong. The backend is supposed to reflect what LilyPond thinks it does. Quite intentionally.

It did so before, it fails to do so now. That's a regression. It's conceivable that the error was present always but is now only *triggered* by different positioning. But while we have no definite analysis, it's hard to say.

Do all of the presented cases appear with the same version or even commit?