Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3304 in lilypond: Unequal spacing in odd n-tup

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3304 in lilypond: Unequal spacing in odd n-tuplet with other simultaneous subdivisions
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 07:14:13 +0000

Comment #16 on issue 3304 by address@hidden: Unequal spacing in odd n-tuplet with other simultaneous subdivisions

Sorry, I ment #7.  I'd still run it by Han Wen and/or Gould.
It's a very simple change at the heart of a complex procedure. What would help in the commit message is a justification of these two lines. Currently, the comment:

/* Strech and compress simlarly to the default springs
 ret.set_inverse_stretch_strength (max (0.1, base_space - increment));
added by Spacing_Spanner::musical_column_spacing()
so that polyphonic music compresses/stretches uniformly. */

is good (I understand that you are using values from the spacing spanner instead of the old ones) but why are they better? It would also be good to know what was wrong with the before. In general, an answer to "why is the compress strength better as the base_space than the difference between the ideal and minimum space?" and "why is the stretch strength better as the base_space than the difference between the base space and the increment?"