Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3304 in lilypond: Unequal spacing in odd n-tup

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3304 in lilypond: Unequal spacing in odd n-tuplet with other simultaneous subdivisions
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 07:10:29 +0000

Updates:
        Owner: address@hidden
        Labels: patch-new

Comment #7 on issue 3304 by address@hidden: Unequal spacing in odd n-tuplet with other simultaneous subdivisions

We have a regression test for this, from 2005:

'spacing-multi-tuplet.ly'
  texidoc = "Concurrent tuplets should be equidistant on all staves.
Such equidistant spacing is at odds with elegant engraver spacing;
hence it must be switched on explicitly with the
@code{uniform-stretching} property of @code{SpacingSpanner}."

Unfortunately 'uniform-stretching' skips "optical" correction, and fails to give space for some accidentals.

The spacing is good with ragged-right=#t, with distances at their natural lengths, so the simplest fix is to let the spacing compress/stretch uniformly from the natural lengths --- stopping compression between each pair of objects when they within padding of each other, as usual.
 http://codereview.appspot.com/36830045/

The change makes music a bit more compressible, so several regression tests fit on fewer lines. Two tests needed to have \breaks added to come out on the number of lines originally intended.

We could tweak the SpacingSpanner defaults to space music out more, but on real music I think I like the new behavior. Previously the spaces between notes were harder to compress than they were to stretch, so most lines were stretched a bit.