Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3528 in lilypond: Patch: Keep bison-generated

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3528 in lilypond: Patch: Keep bison-generated files in sync.
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 10:09:51 +0000

Comment #4 on issue 3528 by address@hidden: Patch: Keep bison-generated files in sync.

hmm, I did a git log on stepmake/stepmake/c-rules.make only, and I missed those commits on the c++-rules.make file. I find it pretty interesting that the patch that I am proposing is essentially the same as what Han-Wen came up with in his commit

commit 68b70888cd7348750ce6b7c6b0985fa8d470b023
Author: Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden>
Date:   Fri Feb 17 18:28:06 2006 +0000

    ($(outdir)/%.cc
    $(outdir)/%.hh): generate h and c in one rule; otherwise -jX
    builds don't work.

which would be the state before your commit, and which claims to fix parallel builds. At least here on GNU make 3.81, make knows to execute that rule only once, even in parallel builds:

address@hidden ~/git/lilypond/build
$ cd lily

address@hidden ~/git/lilypond/build/lily
$ rm -rf out

address@hidden ~/git/lilypond/build/lily
$ make -j2 -n out/parser.cc out/parser.hh
mkdir -p ./out
touch ./out/dummy.dep
echo '*' > ./out/.gitignore
bison -o out/parser.cc -d /home/jrioux/git/lilypond/lily/parser.yy
make: Nothing to be done for `out/parser.hh'.

address@hidden ~/git/lilypond/build/lily
$ make --version
GNU Make 3.81

It would be interesting if you could dig up the circumstances leading to your commit (instead the commit by Werner seems necessary because of your commit).

I think we should definitely generate both files using only one call to bison, and if this patch is not the way to accomplish that, I can think of at least one more way to do it. But I'd like to know why the approach here fails.