Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3528 in lilypond: Patch: Keep bison-generated

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3528 in lilypond: Patch: Keep bison-generated files in sync.
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 09:26:58 +0000

Comment #2 on issue 3528 by address@hidden: Patch: Keep bison-generated files in sync.

You could have just reverted

commit ae9b8d637bae923bf8069f5e0f9bdb327bb98559
Author: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
Date:   Thu Dec 22 19:41:26 2011 +0100

Make parser.cc and parser.hh independently to lessen parallel build problems

but I am afraid it is there for a reason even though I fail to find a corresponding issue in the tracker. The problem, if I remember correctly, was that in a parallel make, the rule(s) for parser.cc and parser.hh triggered in multiple jobs of make, leading to corrupted files when one run stomped over the respective file of the other job when it was just reading it in.

It's not like this problem is easy to get a hang of: if you do
git log stepmake/stepmake/c++-rules.make
you'll see that there are previous commits grappling with that issue. So I'd be very wary about thinking you found the golden grail.