Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3473 in lilypond: Patch: Rewrite STEPMAKE_GET_

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3473 in lilypond: Patch: Rewrite STEPMAKE_GET_VERSION.
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 07:11:50 +0000

Comment #20 on issue 3473 by address@hidden: Patch: Rewrite STEPMAKE_GET_VERSION.

Shell functions as such (if you don't use the bashistic "function" keyword) should be fine. We just want to avoid more complexity than necessary since autoconf problems take a long time to gather definite feedback. Our freeze is not exactly working out fabulously: we'll probably need to do something about that. Nevertheless, we want to avoid changes with long-running consequences.

I had no concrete issues with the patch: my response was more keyword-triggered on the discussion since I did not find your argumentation convincing. The basic gist was "testing will turn up oversights anyway", and that premise does not really work well with autoconf. That does not mean that there are problems, just that we better look closely for them manually since the automatic looking is not covering a lot of ground.