Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3473 in lilypond: Patch: Rewrite STEPMAKE_GET_

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3473 in lilypond: Patch: Rewrite STEPMAKE_GET_VERSION.
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 13:50:59 +0000

Comment #17 on issue 3473 by address@hidden: Patch: Rewrite STEPMAKE_GET_VERSION.

I don't want to alienate anybody, but just like minimal examples
are our best bet to identify the source of a bug, minimal patches
are our best bet to understand where potential new regressions
are introduced.

While I agree that this is a good approach for the lilypond executable, run by thousands of people, I think it is an unnecessary complication for the build system. We don't have to take care of regressions in case everything is building fine; it automatically means that there is *no* regression...

Essentially, if a build change passes the build tests, then it's just fine IMHO. We do preach to everyone not to build from the source, don't we?

If I had to select one of your minimum patches, I would select the one which ignores stderr.

BTW, I'm still waiting for opinions from other developers :-)