Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2783 in lilypond: wrong placement of timesigna

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2783 in lilypond: wrong placement of timesignature
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 17:00:20 +0000

Comment #46 on issue 2783 by address@hidden: wrong placement of timesignature

I agree that the line_count change is correct in that returning an unused variable value makes no sense. However, I have my doubts that any code relying on its value will actually do something useful with it in the case of irregular lines. If this was Scheme code, it would likely make more sense to return #f in order to alert the calling code to the fact that any operation based on the number of lines rather than their actual offsets was not likely to lead to useful results.

So returning 0 in the C case would be defensible as well. Except that the old code would have decided to shift when given 0. Shrug. At least this code no longer depends on any particular value of ...::line_count. I doubt that much of the code that does will actually benefit from having the correct value returned.