Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2783 in lilypond: wrong placement of timesigna

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2783 in lilypond: wrong placement of timesignature
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 05:25:09 +0000

Comment #48 on issue 2783 by address@hidden: wrong placement of timesignature

my aim with that patch series was just that: find and fix all cases where
line_count was used for something else.  and there are places where I
replaced without thinking too much.  in particular, there were checks
which I translated into interval containment checks, but computed that
interval quite mechanically, by widening or shrinking staff_span by 1.
now I don't expect these cases emerging as regressions, but there's the
possibility that taking other line positions into account may be better for
staves like (-5 -2 1 4) that seem useful for me as drum staves.

my first thought on reading this was to check whether any use remains,
and if not, remove line_count.  now I think that, instead of removing,
putting a big comment "use this strictly for counting lines of the staff;
for other purposes consider on_line, line_span or line_positions" would
be better.  now rest.cc still has a valid use of line_count, but the comment
may still be useful.