Re: Libtool eats redundant link objects

From: Sam TH
Subject: Re: Libtool eats redundant link objects
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 17:21:05 -0600

On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 12:18:13AM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Alexandre Oliva writes:
>
> > > But this bug is really hindering my ability to do anything at all,
> >
> > Did you get to try the multi-language branch?  I don't think this bug
> > is present in it.
>
> This behaviour exists in both MAIN and the ML branch.  It was introduced
> in ltmain.in rev. 1.79.2.2 (ILD branch), and merged in 1.138 (March 1999).
>
> It seems this was fully intentional.  In fact, the code says
>
>           # Make sure that $var contains only unique libraries
>           # and add them in reverse order

Well, this is seriously broken.  This means you can't use libtool to
link some programs (without hacks like I described previously).  Since
gcc is unable to link the programs, it would seem erroneous for
libtool to make the neccessary workaround impossible.

Is there any good reason to prevent people from doing this?

        sam th
        address@hidden
        http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
        GnuPG Key: