Re: Libtool eats redundant link objects

From: Sam TH
Subject: Re: Libtool eats redundant link objects
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 08:42:11 -0600

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 01:02:52AM -0200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Feb  6, 2001, Sam TH <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > /bin/sh ../../libtool --mode-link c++ -o foo lib1.la lib2.la lib1.la \
> > lib2.la lib1.la lib2.la
>
> > Which is what I want. However, libtool then issues this command.
>
> > c++ -o foo ./libs/lib1.a ./libs/lib2.a
>
> Which version of libtool are you using?  This would definitely be a
> bug, but I don't think it's a bug present in current CVS versions nor
> in the latest stable release.

Ok, this is the third reply to this mail that I've sent.  I'm
beginning to wonder about the list mechanics, but my messages seem to
have gotten to the archives, so I assume that other people were able
to see them.   But this bug is really hindering my ability to do
anything at all, and is thus worthy of yet another email.

Here's the easiest way to reproduce this bug:

go the the libtool/demo directory.
run make, and then remove hell, the final binary.

This is what I then did, and the output libtool produces:

address@hidden ~/projects/libtool/demo]$ rm hell
address@hidden ~/projects/libtool/demo]$ /bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link \
gcc  -g -O2  -o hell  main.o libhello.la
gcc -g -O2 -o hell main.o  ./.libs/libhello.a -lm
address@hidden ~/projects/libtool/demo]$ rm hell
address@hidden ~/projects/libtool/demo]$ /bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link \
gcc  -g -O2  -o hell  main.o libhello.la libhello.la
gcc -g -O2 -o hell main.o  ./.libs/libhello.a -lm

Note that the gcc commands issued by libtool are identical, and that
libtool has totally ignore the repetition of libhello.la on the
command line.

Like I said, this bug is making progress impossible currently, and
since I don't want to directly reference the .libs directories, I
really would like it to get fixed.  I'll work on a fix myself, if
neccessary, but I'd just like a pointer to the right place.

I really hope someone can help (or at least respond).

Thanks

        sam th
        address@hidden
        http://www.abisource.com/~sam/